Egg-citing for PWR!
By Karen DeBord and Jodee Jeans
The Incredible, edible egg. That’s the slogan used by the poultry council to market eggs in the early 80’s when Karen was an Extension Agent. And having held a chicken and candled eggs then, it was only recently that Karen acquired her own chickens. So without a program at the last minute, Jodee and Karen decided to present something from the kitchen. Karen is the owner/operator of Bedford Landings Bed and Breakfast in Moneta, while Jodee is the owner/operator of Ippy’s restaurant in Rocky Mount. They both used eggs daily!
A few eggs facts where followed by demonstrations. Eggs provide a naturally good source of Vitamin D and the same egg protein builds human tissues. Vitamin D deficiency is one of the most common deficiencies in adults today. With the threat of skin cancer and the use of sunscreen we are blocking the total effects that the sun can provide in terms of Vitamin D. Look to the egg for Vitamin D if you are feeling blue and achy! One large egg contains only 70 calories and 5 grams of fat.
Hard cooked or raw egg?
If you have ever mixed up a hard-boiled egg and a raw egg in the refrigerator, simply spin them. A raw egg spins more slowly and wobbles as fluids move around. Hard-boiled eggs don’t wobble. A raw will spin a little longer (as the liquid moves) and the Hard-boiled one stops spinning instantly.
Accidently drop an egg?
If you accidently drop an egg (as happened during the above spinning demonstration), simply coat it with salt and it will pick up more easily than trying to manage the slimy mess!
Why is the free range chicken’s egg yolk darker ?
The color of the yolk depends on the diet of the chicken. Foods that contain carotene (like carrots or red cabbage) help the yolk look the dark orange color.
Do you need a rooster to get eggs?
Really? Think about it ladies. Do you need a rooster to produce eggs that wash out of our bodies monthly? Nope. Now if you want baby chickens, you need a rooster!
Do eggs need to be refrigerated?
Fresh eggs from the chicken nest do not need to be refrigerated as they have a protective coating that seals the eggs pores and prevents bacteria from getting into the egg. Once you take the egg and plan to refrigerate it, it should be washed and at this point it must be refrigerated since the protective cuticle has been removed.
How many eggs do chickens lay?
Hens (or pullets) lay about 300-325 eggs a year. Averaging one per day, it takes a hen 24-26 hours to produce one egg.
Secrets to cooking with eggs
- Crack on a flat surface- fewer bits of shell fall off
- Use extra egg shell to dip out shell broken into your egg – it adheres to itself better
- The bottle method- Crack a whole egg into a dish then use a rinsed water bottle to suck the yolk away from the albumin. Then simply pour (squirt out) the yolk into the separate bowl.
- Fresh eggs are harder to peel
- Fresh eggs - sink to the bottom of a bowl and lay flat
- Eggs that are a few weeks old - sink to the bottom and stand on end
- Eggs that sink to the bottom of a bowl of water - toss them!
- Fill bowl with water. Cover with lid and shake then pinch off shell for easier peeling
- Use butter
- Cooking eggs does not have to be a quick process. By cooking them slowly, the heat lets the spices savor (basil, tomato, onion, pepper, wild rice). Put a lid on the pan and the cheese melts better too!
Jodee and Karen presented a few other egg uses including skincare, healing, composting, housecleaning, pet food, and as glue.